Scraps and orphan blocks build up and create a storage dilemma for me. I find storing them challenging, so I try to use them up before I have to dream up a better way to sort and store them. Not to say that I don’t have scraps because that can’t be helped. I also have a box of orphan blocks, those blocks made to test a pattern or color combo or to replace some that didn’t play well with the working project.
My last two projects are a result of my desire to limit scrap build-up. Both were begun using orphan blocks and scraps as the foundation.
Completed: 24″ Orphan Block Wall Quilt – All of the center part of this quilt was in my box of scraps and blocks. I almost stopped at the first round of stripped banding until I saw this lovely piece of red batik and knew it would make a great border. I haven’t named it yet, so ideas are welcome. I need a better picture!
Next, a baby quilt, but not for me.
The blocks were left from a quilt made quite a while back. I thought the light ones were too bright for what I was making and the others too similar to other blocks, so changed them for something else. Surprisingly the sashing helps tie the two together.
It’s so hot right now that I haven’t felt much like wrestling with any quilting so I’m getting behind. I still have these tops that need quilting that I finished up last month – both queen size and both made from men’s dress shirts. The String Quilt was made from the pieces too small for the other quilt pattern. I am pretty sure I have enough scrap to make another!
That’s it for now. I’ll show you the finished quilts when I do get that quilting done!
Go on now and make something………